So, what's the way forward from here? What are the "bold moves" that the actors can take to advance the peace process? Some suggestions:
For the Israelis:
- Cease all settlement activity immediately and indefinitely.
- Lift all internal roadblocks or impediments to movement.
- Re-open access points to Gaza and the West Bank.
- Release to the West Bank-based government all tax revenues being held.
- Pledge that , barring Palestinian escalation, incursions and collective punishments will not be used in response to rocket attacks from Gaza.
For the Palestinians:
- Pledge, in secret if need be, that the "right to return" is negotiable and can be symbolically fulfilled by economic restitution.
- Reaffirm willingness to negotiate the final borders of a Palestinian state to include pre-1967 Israeli territory in exchange for land along the Green Line.
- Pledge to crack down on all militias and to formally consolidate power in the hands of the government.
- Create a peacekeeping force from NATO countries to patrol the Gaza-Israel border. The force must possess sufficient capability and political will to track and intercept infiltrators, rocket launches, and other threats.
- Pledge to provide the funding to symbolically fulfill the Palestinian right to return.
- Arrange prepared funding packages for both sides upon acceptance and performance of agreements. Attach negative incentives for failure to reach deals.